Research Associate, Department of Pharmacology
M.S: Cochin University of Science and Technology, India 1993
Ph.D: Cochin University of Science and Technology, India 2000
Post Doctoral Fellow: Department of Surgery, IUPUI. Indianapolis.IN
Post Doctoral Fellow: Department of Radiation Oncology, Tufts University, Boston. MA
Research Associate: Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. PA
Dr. Kumar’s research program focuses on metastatic melanoma tumor progression, circulating tumor cells (CTCs) and melanoma cancer initiating cells so called cancer stem cells. The melanoma is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer and circulating tumor cells are cancer cells shed from either the primary tumor or its metastases that circulate in the peripheral blood. So the metastases are directly responsible for the majority of cancer deaths and CTCs may constitute seeds for metastases and may indicate the spread of the disease. Dr. Kumar’s specific aim is to develop a novel method for isolation and characterization of CTCs from melanoma patient blood sample using melanoma specific antibody conjugated with nanoparticle.
1. Suresh M Kumar, Shujing Liu, Hong Yu, Lianjun Chen, Ronan McDaid, John Lee, Maurizia, Kate Nathanson, Patricia VanBelle, David E Elder, and Xiaowei Xu: Mutant BRAF transforms human neural crest stem cells by activating Notch and MITF pathways; Journal of Clinical Investigation (2012). (in press)
2. Suresh M Kumar, Shujing Liu, Zhelu He, Paul J Zhang, Wei Guo and Xiaowei Xu: Acquired cancer stem cell-like phenotypes through Oct4 mediated dedifferentiation. Oncogene. 2012 Jan 30. doi: 10.1038/onc.2011.656. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Suresh M. Kumar, Hong Yu, Geza Acs, Gao, Meenhard Herlyn, Boris Bastian, Frank Lee, Xiaowei Xu. Erythropoietin Receptor is Indispensible for melanoma growth in vivo. Oncogene, Oncogene. 2011 Aug 22. doi: 10.1038/onc.2011.366. [Epub ahead of print] ( Nature Publications)
4. Shujing Liu, Hong Yu, Suresh M. Kumar, James S. Martin, Marcus Bosenberg, Xiaowei Xu: Norcantharidin induces melanoma cell apoptosis through activation of TR3 dependent pathway. Cancer Biol Ther. 2011 Dec 1;12(11). [Epub ahead of print]
5. Shujing Liu, Suresh M. Kumar, Zhelu He, Ruifeng Yang, Aihua Liu, Min Jiang, Guo Weiand Xiaowei Xu. Snail Expression Mediates Hypoxia-Induced Melanoma Progression through Down-Regulation of E-cadherin. American Journal of Pathology 2011 Dec;179(6):3020-31. Epub 2011 Oct 11.
6. Shujing Liu, Suresh M. Kumar, Ruifeng Yang and Xiaowei Xu: MicroRNA-9 upregulate E-cadherin through inhibition of NF-kB1-Snail Pathway in melanoma. Journal of Pathology. J Pathol. 2012 Jan;226(1):61-72. doi: 10.1002/path.2964. Epub 2011 Aug 24.
7. Ruifeng Yang, Min Jiang, Suresh M Kumar, Ted Xu, Leihing Xiang, Xiaowei Xu; Generation of melanocytes from induced pluripotend stem cells. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. Oncogene. 2011 Aug 22. doi: 10.1038/onc.2011.366. [Epub ahead of print]
8. Hongtao Zhang, Ting Fu, Suzanne McGettigan, Suresh Kumar, Shujing Liu, David Speicher, Lynn Schuchter and Xiaowei Xu: IL8 and Cathepsin B as Melanoma Serum Biomarkers. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2011, 12, 1505-1518.
9. Yunyi Kong, Suresh M Kumar and Xiaowei Xu: Molecular Pathogenesis of Sporadic Melanoma and Melanoma Initiating Cells. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine-Review. 2010 134(12):1740-9.
10. Hong Yu, Suresh M. Kumar, Andrew V. Kossenkov , Louise Showe , and Xiaowei Xu. Neural Crest Stem Cells in the Bulge Area of Human Hair Follicles, Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 2010 130(5):1227-36.
11. Gyorgy Paragh, Suresh M. Kumar, Soek-Choel Choi, Xiaowei Xu, and Geza Acs. RNA Interference-Mediated Inhibition of Erythropoietin Receptor Expression Suppresses Tumor Growth and Invasiveness in A2780 Human Ovarian Carcinoma Cells. American journal of Pathology, 2009; 174(4):1504-14.
12. Hong Yu, Ronan McDaid, John Lee, Patricia Possik, Ling Li, Phyllis Gimotty, Rachal Hammond, Matt, David E. Elder, Patricia Van Belle, Suresh M. Kumar, Aihua Liu, Meenhard Herlyn, Xiaowei Xu. Disruption of BRAF and p53 pathways leads to transformation of human melanocytes. American Journal of Pathology, 2009; 174(6):2367-77.
13. Suresh M Kumar, Hong Yu, Robin Edwards, Steven Kazianis, Patricia Brafford, Geza Acs, Meenhard Herlyn and Xiaowei Xu. MutantV600E BRAF Increases Hypoxia Inducible Factor-1a Expression in Melanoma. Cancer Research, 2007;1; 67(7):3177-84.
14. Hong Yu, Suresh M. Kumar, Geza Acs, Dong F and Xiaowei Xu: Dihydrotestosterone induces sub cellular translocation of orphan nuclear receptor NGFI-B/TR3 in melanoma. Cancer cell and Therapy, 2007; 6(3):405-12.
15. Suresh M. Kumar, Geza Acs, Dong F and Xiaowei Xu and Xiaowei Xu, Erythropoietin Activates PI3K/Akt Pathway in Melanoma. Melanoma Research, 2006, Vol: 16, 275-283.
16. Hong Yu, Dong Fang, Suresh M. Kumar, Ling Li, Thiennga K. Nguyen, Geza Acs, Meenhard Herlyn and Xiaowei Xu: Neural crest like stem cells in the bulge area of human hair follicle. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 2006, Vol: 126 Pages: 100-100
17. Hong Yu, Dong Fang, Suresh M. Kumar, Ling Li, Thiennga K. Nguyen, Geza Acs, Meenhard Herlyn and Xiaowei Xu, Nanog- and Oct4-Positive Multipotent Stem Cells in Human Hair Follicles. American journal of Pathology, 2006, vol 168- 1879-1888.*
** The Power of 10 most-read articles in the month of August- September 2006, American Journal of Pathology. # Number 1
18. Suresh M. Kumar, Geza Acs, Dong Fang, Meenhard Herlyn, David E. Elder and Xiaowei Xu: Functional Erythropoietin Autocrine Loop in Melanoma. American Journal of Pathology, 2005: 166 (3) 823-30
19. Christopher J. Sweeney, Sanjana Mehrotra, Miral R. Sadaria, Suresh Kumar, Nicholas H. Shortle,Yaritzabel Roman,Carol Palochko,Robert A. Campbell, Daryl J Murray, Sunil Badve, and Harikrishna Nakshatri: The Sesquiterpene Lactone Parthenolide in Combination with Docetaxel Reduces Metastasis and Improves Survival in a Xenograft Model of Breast Cancer. Molecular cancer Therapeutics, 2005; Vol 4(6):1004-12.
20. Suresh Kumar, Kathy D. Miller, Hui Lin Chua, Hiromitsu Kishimoto, Robert M. Bigsby and Harikrishna Nakshatri: Interleukin 1a promotes tumor growth and cachexia without inducing metastasis in a xenograft model of breast cancer American Journal of Pathology, 2003 Dec; 163(6):2531-41.
21. Gregory Helbig, Kent W. Christopherson II, Poornima Bhat-Nakshatri, Suresh Kumar, Kathy D. Miller, Hal E. Broxmeyer and Harikrishna Nakshatri. NF-kB promotes breast cancer cell migration and metastasis by inducing the expression of the chemokine receptor CXCR4.Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2003; Vol.278.21631-21638.